I’ve never had “real” moonshine, and I don’t have a distillery set up at my house, so I found some homemade recipes for moonshine, using pre-distilled booze, and mixed them up unto something delicious that reminds me of good ol’ American apple pie! I hope you enjoy it as much as my friends have!
- 1 gallon of apple cider
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cups Everclear (Everclear is illegal in some states, like Washington State. Find a high proof, unflavored grain alcohol if you can’t get Everclear)
- 2 cups vanilla vodka
- bottles or jars
- Mix cider, sugars, cinnamon sticks and cloves in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to make sure the sugar dissolves. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Once mixture is cool, add in Everclear and vanilla vodka. Taste to make sure it has enough booze in it. If you want more fire, add another cup of Everclear! 🙂
- Ladle (or if you want to feel authentic here, go ahead and siphon) your moonshine into bottles or legit redneck jars; add one clove and one cinnamon stick per jar and let sit at least a day before drinking to allow the flavors to meld. Don’t worry about processing the jars or bottles–there’s enough booze to kill any sort of cootie!
- Drink with your friends. This would be a good beverage to serve while playing Cards Against Humanity!