There’s something cozy about eating spiced cake and pumpkin everything at this time of year. I love sandwich cookies, but these are more like little cakes that you can eat with your hands…light and fluffy and quite easy to make! Adapted from Dreamy Desserts. Yield: about 18 cookies.
- 1 1/2 c. gluten free flour blend
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 egg (alternately use your favorite egg alternate)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat together sugars, oil, and pumpkin. Add egg or egg alternate, then vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time, until everything is mixed.
- Set cookie batter aside for 30 minutes. This allows the gluten free flour to absorb some moisture and your end product won’t be “grainy”. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- Using a pastry bag or plastic bag with corner snipped out, squeeze 2″ diameter circles of batter onto a greased cookie sheet. I use THESE disposable pastry bags because I absolutely hate cleaning pastry bags.
- Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are cooked through and starting to brown.
- Remove cookies from pan and let cool on wire rack
- While cookies are cooling, make cinnamon buttercream frosting
Cinnamon Buttercream Ingredients:
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature (works well with non-dairy butter)
- 1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-3 Tbs. milk or non-dairy milk, as needed
- Beat butter, cinnamon and vanilla until mixed.
- Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time, adding milk to thin out the consistency as needed.
- Once the frosting looks “right” (not too stiff and dry, not too watery), beat on medium speed for a minute or two.
- Using another disposable pastry bag, pipe a fat swirl of cinnamon buttercream on one cookie and top with another. Repeat until all cookies are done.
- Eat and enjoy!